RE: X on embedded Systems

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Michael Hamilton wrote:

> Yes I am using startx. I am using a relatively fast 1gig Compact Flash
> (still slower than a hard drive though) and a ricoh EB1 1.4Ghz
> Processor.

   It might just be the time it takes to read the flash.  That
stuff's pretty slow.  But with 512 Meg of ram, I'd expect it to be
considerably faster the second time you started the server.

> 512 megs of ram. The ramdisk is 12 megs and loads the root file system
> and some libraries specific to our application. I contemplated putting X
> in ramdisk but then ramdisk would be massive. Is there an alternative to
> starting x without using startx? Again I am using TWM, which doesn't
> have very good documentation. It's possible that it is slow as well.

   startx is OK and twm is pretty lightweight.  I suggest just
starting "XFree86" to see if that comes up faster (quit with
startx is off the hook.  If you run XFree86, quit and then run
XFree86 again and it comes up very much faster the second time
then that implies that the flash is slow.

			Mark.