Re: How to set up two monitors with ATI Mach64 Rage Pro AGP and S3 Trio64V2 - CLOSE

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:50:14 -0500
> John Hobbie <hobbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I saw your frustration in getting no response.  I think the problem
> is a lot more common than you think.  I have two identical Dells,
> and have installed nVidia GeForce cards, one AGP the other PCI,
> and had to go to the XFree86 version 4.4.0 (the latest, if the
> numbers I quoted are not correct) to get the drivers because these
> were new cards.  One works fine and Gnome comes up on both screens.

  You must have a newer Dell. I don't think moving to the latest
XFree86 will help me. When I added the 2nd adapter, my BIOS
automatically make that the primary adapter and do not
properly initialize the on-board AGP adapter, which Marc,
who wrote the ati driver said cannot be overcome at s/w
driver level (my interpretation).  That Dell BIOS (from
Optiplex GX1, PIII 500) was indeed a lobotomised version.

>  The other system has a  strange login screen (xerm?) but can
> be made to be Gnome and then Gnome exists on one screen but
> only a blank -- gray screen -- on the other.  However, the
> mouse cursor will move from one screen to the other, but
> clicking (either right or left) on the gray screen gives no
> response. The only thing I can think that was done differernt
> during setup,  was that I answered one of the questions differently
> during the setup.  Weird.

Have you compared /etc/X11/XF86Config from the two machines?
If they are identical, try comparing /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

> I have sent messages to this list and got no responses, also.
>
> Anyway, you are definately not alone.   Good luck,

Actually I did get a response, but you are the first who runs
a Dell with AGP + PCI adapter to own up.

By the way, I've read that drivers from nvidia currently do
not work with linux kernel 2.6+. This may have been fixed.
In the meantime, alternative driver are not as optimised.

Thanks
-Asri