Hotplugging USB Tablet

I have a KBGear USB tablet. I found the "js_x" driver and configured it successfully to work with my install of XFree86-4.3.0. My only problem is that X freaks out if I unplug the tablet or try to launch X without the tablet plugged in.

Here's the relevant configuration:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "Tablet0"
  Driver "js_x"
  Option "Device"   "/dev/usb/hid/hiddev0"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Server Layout"
    Screen "Screen0"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Tablet0" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

The problem is I get a "file not found" error when X looks for /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0. X then bails and won't start. The device is created dynamically when the tablet is plugged in and removed when the tablet is unplugged.

What I would like is to be able to use my computer without the tablet plugged in. Then, when I want the tablet, I just plug it in and go.

Is it possible to do this in XFree86? Is there any way to tell X that the input device is hotpluggable?

- Christoph