failure with ProMotion and XFree86 4.3/4.4 (apm)

I just came into one of these cards:

    0000:00:11.0 VGA compatible controller: Alliance Semiconductor Corporation ProMotion AT3D (rev 02)

It works fine with the vesa driver, but I've had no luck with the apm
driver in either XFree86 4.3 (Debian package 4.3.0.dfsg.1-5) or XFree86
4.4 (from xfree86.org binary archives).  When I run startx, either X
runs but the screen is blank (or occasionally, it has a bit of garbage);
X crashes with a sig 11; or the system locks up hard.  In the first two
cases, the screen remains blank even when I return to the text console.
The log (attached) doesn't seem to have any useful data.

I've tried various permutations on my config.  I've tried different
resolutions and bit depths, and I've played with the noaccel, nolinear,
SWCursor, and PciRetry options.  They seem to have some effect on which
of the above failure modes I encounter, but none of them show any sign
of working.  I've tried two different PCI slots, and pulled out all of
the other cards.

My system is dual celerons on an Abit BP6 motherboard.  This board is
somewhat flaky, so it may be contributing to the problem.  I have not
tried this card under windows, but I may be able to do that later.

I would be glad to help debug if anyone is still interested in
supporting this card.

Thanks,
Andrew