Why is the Install script so complicated

I've only been playing (sorry USING) Linux for a few months.

For an application which only has a small (250MB) compact flash card as a
hard disk my colleagues and I created a small Linux installation with just
the minimum number of tools installed.

Then an application came along which needed us to be able to have a more
graphical front end so we decided we would port XFree onto our system.

We down loaded binaries for XFree4.4.0 for Linux running on an X86 processor
with GlibC2.2 because we knew that was what we were going to be running on.

Then what do we find.  The install script starts to try and use tools which
we don't have installed (grep).  So we printed out the install script to see
what is going on.  28 pages later we are not really any better off.

So we searched the XFree website and found a document on doing a manual
install.  WOW the install is only a dozen or so commands.  We ran all of the
commands as per the document and 5 minutes or so later we had a working
version of X installed on our system.

Since then I've spent a few bleary eyed evenings pouring over the install
script and have a simple question.

Why if I have gone to the trouble of downloading a specific set of binaries
for a specific processor (X86) a specific operating system (Linux) and a
specific version of GLibC (2.2) does the install script need to go and check
everything.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man (or developers) to produce a specific
script for the specific set of binaries that have been downloaded.

I realise that this would involve a little work and that several different
versions of the script would need to be maintained BUT do these scripts
really change that much between releases.  The script for 4.3.0 look
identical to the script for 4.4.0 apart from the version number.

Kevin Benstead
Senior Engineer
R&D Division
Thermo Electron Corporation