Re: X host -client without X server present on machine.

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:09:45AM -0500, John Chatelle wrote:
> I'm looking to install a minimal X - Host Client  that X servers may
> connect to that doesn't itself have an X server, XDM, or window manager
> installed.  I don't want the application server to bring up X by itself at
> all, but serve X applications to X servers on the secure local network.

Yep; not a bad idea.

>  It seems I would just need the Xlib and whatever X toolkit, such as
> LessTif.   All I see though is directions on how to bring up X Servers;
> never the simplest client/host X configurations.
>
>    What is the minimum needed for an application server, such that it itself
> doesn't have an X server?  Why isn't this done more often?

Cause it's a pain.  :-)

Roughly, you need any library wanted by any binary you try to run; ldd
will tell you what those are for any given binary.

You might do a sort/uniq to get a complete list...

>    I'm running Redhat 7.3 and have RedHat 9 so would tend to want to run
> XFree86 4.3.0-2.  Am I making a mistake doing this?

Can't see why.

> This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected
> by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use
> of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of
> this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If
> you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
> sender by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail.

Please find a way to remove this trailer from list mail; it makes
people less likely to want to help you since they're often not sure
they legally can.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra@xxxxxxxxxxx

                2004 Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning