keyboard input - application development

Hello ,
      I want to develop a keyboard manager for Linux (X Windows System) for
inputting  Malayalam(An Indian language)  characters.The keyboard manager
should capture the keystrokes typed by users  & retransmit another
keycombinations in the correct rendered form to X-applications.

The keyboard manager should able to do the following functions
1) Capture the keystrokes entered by the user
2) Do processing  on the keys (store characters in a stack, compare with the
previous characters & replace chars if         necessary,...)
3) Re-send the (stored) characters to the active X Window.

     My friend had developed such an application(Keyboard Manager) for
Windows platform using VC++ (using Windows APIs).  I would like to know is
it possibe to write a similar application for X.  Where can I get the help
for developing such an application. Which tool/Application should I use to
develop the keyboard manager for X(Linux).

Note: I am herewith giving a brief description about the Indian Language.
 a 'syllable' - the Indian language equivalent unit of writing letter is
composed of one or more characters entered through the keyboard. The
syllable is composed of vowels, consonants, modifiers and other special
graphics signs. These are encoded, just as roman letters are. The user types
in a sequence of vowels, consonants, modifiers and the graphics signs. Indic
characters can combine or change shape depending on their context. A
character's appearance is affected by its ordering with respect to other
characters.

    I hope somebody will guide me in the right direction to develop such an
application. Thanks in advance.

Saravanan. V