OpenGL and XFree86

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out how OpenGL works with X.  Basically this is what I think know:

If you have drivers from your video card manufacturer then they usually supply an OpenGL library with all the appropriate OpenGL functions.

If you do NOT have drivers from the manufacturer then you either do not have hardware acceleration and use the Mesa libraries, or DRI has some support for hardware acceleration on certain video cards.

So now for what I don’t know:

When I installed slackware 9.1 how did I get the GLU library?  Is it something that came with XFree?  I don’t believe my video card manufacturer included it.

Also what is the purpose of GLX, and how did that get on my system?  Is it the same thing as Utah-GLX?

What I would really like just to understand the architecture, is some form a diagram that shows how all the different libraries communicate together.  There seems to be a fine line between these:

OpenGL Libraries, MESA, DRI, GLX, and sometime GLU.

I don’t know why this is so hard for me to understand.  Is this confusing to anyone else?

Samuel Ace Winchenbach

University of Maine