Re: OpenGL and XFree86

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 07:07:24PM -0400, Samuel Winchenbach wrote:
> When I installed slackware 9.1 how did I get the GLU library?  Is it
> something that came with XFree?

    Yes. GLU is just a utility library used by apps, that makes OpenGL
calls. There's nothing in there you can't write in your own app.

> Also what is the purpose of GLX, and how did that get on my system?  Is
> it the same thing as Utah-GLX?

    GLX is (a) an API binding OpenGL to X, e.g. letting you setup OpenGL
to draw into X windows (b) an X server extension supporting the API (c)
a wire protocol carrying GLX and OpenGL indirect rendering calls. In
some implementations GLX is also a floor wax and dessert topping.

    http://www.sgi.com/software/opengl/glandx/intro/section3_3.html#SECTION0003000000000000000

    Implementations of GLX and the OpenGL driver are relatively closely
related under the hood, and both rely on underlying (invisible to apps)
software layers to support efficient access to the hardware, such as
NVIDIA's resource manager or DRI. Some vendors ship their own GLX
implementation together with their OpenGL driver, others use the GLX
that comes with XFree86.

    Jon Leech
    SGI