Re: ati video

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:29:14 -0500
bill and kary <bill7kary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Guy Rouillier wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:38:29 -0500
>>bill and kary <bill7kary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>i have a similar problem with SUSE 9.0 on a new dell inspiron XPS
>with>>a radeon 9700 mobility that i can't get to work with anything
>other>>than the vesa driver (ie. the fglrx driver from ati).  i need to
>do>>opengl development.  if you find out anything, the help would be
>great.>>
>>>

>>I could not get usable results from the fglrx driver for my 9600
>>Mobility on AMD64.  I read that 4.4.0 had native support, so out of
>>frustration I downloaded it and installed.  Been using it for several
>>months, works okay with some quirks.
>>
>>Actually, now that I remember, I did get ATIs driver to work on the
>same>hardware on a separate, 32-bit installation.  I had to recompile
>it,>though.
>>

>>>cheers,
>>>bill whitaker
>>>

>guy,
>
>what type of quirks did you notice with 4.4?  I'm developing a large
>opengl application and I would like the solution to support the full
>API if possible.  Do you think I should try 4.4 or wait for another
>solution?

The only 4.4 64-bit version available on XFree86.org was for glib 2.2,
while Mandrake uses 2.3.  I don't know if that is the cause or not -
haven't had time to recompile with 2.3.  But I cannot put the Gnome
panel on the bottom, where I like it.  It will only go on the top or
left.  That's if I run Xinerama, which I normally do.  If I turn off
Xinerama, I can put the panel on the bottom, but then %gconf.xml gets
corrupted, and I get no panel at all!  But as long as I stick with a top
panel, everything is okay.

For 32-bit, I'd advise getting the ATI driver and recompiling.  That
worked for me.

>thanks,
>bill

Guy Rouillier