X-Window cannot be opened

Can anyone help? I tried to disable KDE already but problem remains!

I successfully install the package into a P4 desktop with the hardware including the following:
1. Monitor: Compaq FP768A
2. Display Card: ATI 9600

I have come across a problem of repeating login prompt when the system try to login into X for me. System automatically choose Generic VESA display driver with unknown probe monitor during installation.

After further investigation, I follow the instruction from ATI with their support rpm package installed into Redhat in the following procedures.

1. Boot the system in Single User Mode.
2. Install the package by "rpm -i --force <ati_package_name>.rpm"
3. Successful installation has been shown.
4. Continue to run into login screen and a window prompt of X cannot be loaded occurs.
5. Choose "yes" to run the configuration with lots of Monitor and Display type that I can select.

I try many different combination; however, problem remains!!!

Result: Same for another login name besides "root" & System in "black" background keep asking me username and password. If I purposely type in incorrect password, it will prompt password incorrect. If I type it right, the system again ask me the login name and password as a repeat cycle!

Would you please suggest any alternative solutions?