Re: CLE266 problems

Luc Verhaegen wrote (in a message from Sunday 25)
 > On 2004.01.25 12:50, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
 > > One thing to note about this (and other similar reports that XFree86
 > > leaves the text console garbled on exit on NetBSD and OpenBSD) is
 > > that
 > > the Linux console driver does its own VGA registers save/restore when
 > > switching VTs, while the wscons driver used by NetBSD and OpenBSD
 > > doesn't save/restore anything.
 > >
 > > I don't know if the proper fix is to duplicate the code from the
 > > Linux
 > > console driver in the X server for the systems that need it, or to
 > > add
 > > this ""feature" to the wscons driver.
 > >
 > > 					Matthieu
 > Hrm, Martti, have you followed
 >   http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/NetBSD7.html#16
 >
 > Your log has
 >   (--) Using wscons driver in pcvt compatibility mode (version 3.32)
 >
 > Matthieu, does this mean that X/wscons is lacking in this area, or that
 > problems storing/restoring console within a driver will only be
 > revealed when using netbsd?

Wscons exposes things that go un-noticed under Linux or other systems
that duplicate the VGA save/restore around the X server.

The problem is that my understanding of the vgahw layer is limited,
and I've never been able to find out what's missing there.

					Matthieu