XFree86 installation

Hello

I am trying to configure Linux to run with a minimal set of installed packages.

I have installed a system that did not include any GUI components and then I installed XFree86-4.3.0 afterwards.

I can run xf86cfg which gives me a root screen with a configuration window.

When I click on the desktop a menu appears which I can use to open a terminal etc. This dropdown menu

identifies the window manager as TWM.

When I try to run startx from the console the screen goes blank and the monitors power light starts to blink.

I assume that this is happening because I do not have any GUI components other than the X server and TWM installed.

Would it be possible for someone to give me some explanation of what the situation is. I only need to know whether my

assumptions are correct and whether I have correctly installed the X server. Some pointers in the right direction as to what

my next steps should be would be a bonus and would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Henry Quinn