help me please

dear sir,
   I had installed Linux 8.0 on my system under dual booting with windows 98, and i am using Extended OS loader(xosl) to load the two operating systems. Everything is fine but the graphical desktop under linux is creating problems. Linux detected my video card as Intel 845 and my monitor as sync master and the horizontal and vertical frequency is also correct. but the system will hang when it will enter into Gnome or KDE desktops, even I will get the login screen also. please help  me what i have to do. My video card is Intel 82845(GL)Graphics controller, and monitor is samtron 56v. Please help me.
  Thanking you
                                                Yours truly,
                                                  D.saisyam