Re: Problem with S3 ViRGE DX

Peter Russell wrote:

> > That's about the best we're going to get with the driver...  I see you
> > have an 1152x768 mode loading, is that one better?  It should be, as
> > well as 1024x768 (I think that's the highest I tested at depth 24.)
>
> The 1152x768 mode is horrible, it has a refresh rate of 55Hz (fifty five
> hurts!), but the errors aren't there at that resolution.  At 1024x768 it
> works fine (at 85Hz) now that I have the settings you suggested
> (although it seems quite slow, is that because of turning off XVideo?).

Slower in that mode or slower in general?  No, the xvideo option should
have no impact on perceived speed.  Noaccel should though...

> For the moment I am quite happy to leave it at that resolution.
>
> > Does Windows do better at that resolution?  Some additional driver
> > tweaking (in the code, not in config params) might help or using a
> > different modeline.  I see only one modeline for that resolution in your
> > log, though.
>
> In windows there are no such problems.  However windows is only willing
> to drive the monitor at 60Hz rather than the 75Hz I was getting in X, so
> maybe refresh rate is a factor as well.  That would seem to make sense
> if the problem is memory bandwidth.  In that case I suppose a new
> modeline probably would work, but I'd rather sacrifice resolution than
> refresh rate, especially now my desktop is huge!
>
> I have also noticed that if I set my .xinitrc file to:
>
> metacity &
> xsetroot -solid SteelBlue &
> gnome-terminal
>
> rather than
>
> gnome-session
>
> There are no errors, even at 1152x864, even though the only visual
> difference is the addition of a couple of panels.  That seems a bit
> strange.

Any animated meters or other moving items on the gnome panel?  Generally
the problem shows up when updating portions of the screen more
frequently.  If you have the wm set to drag windows instead of dragging
outlines, that will usually show the problem easily.

> > And to your prior question about the dual cards having an impact, I
> > wouldn't think so.  You don't see the streaking on the virge head while
> > performing window operations on the other head, do you?
>
> No, I now have Xinerama working quite nicely (although not at the res I
> would have liked).  My next problem is to match the colours accross the
> two monitors.
>
> Thanks again for all your help!

Glad we improved it :)

--