Re: Problem with S3 ViRGE DX

Peter Russell wrote:

> <snip>
> > >
> > > I have tried setting the NoAccel, HWCursor, and UseFB options for the
> > > s3virge driver but none of them made any difference.
> >
> > All at once, or individually?  UseFB is the driver default for recent
> > drivers, so shouldn't make a difference unless you used "usefb" "no".
> >
> I tried those options one at a time, and in combinations, and I did say
> usefb "no" (I did make an effort to rtfm before posting here :-)
>
> > I'd be really surprised if NoAccel didn't fix this, but before you try
> > it again, try adding "xvideo" "no" instead and tell us if that helps.
> > Please send the driver log file again also.  You  should see the below
> > go away when you set this option:
> >
> > (II) S3VIRGE(0): Using overlay video
>
> Setting that option does seem to make things very much better, but the
> problem is still present.  Now the flickering is still there, but not as
> severe, and the picture is no longer corrupted when the flickering
> stops.
>
> Setting "NoAccel" "true" does not have any noticeable effect (apart from
> making things very much slower).  I have attached the logs that were
> generated by setting each option (MIME attachments this time, not
> inline, is that OK?).  This time I did not bother to remove my other
> graphics card before trying these options, so you will see that in the
> logs too.  Am I right in thinking that shouldn't make any difference?
> The results seem to be the same with one or both cards in.
>
> I feel a bit bad posting two 30K attachments to a public mailing list.
> Would there be some better way to post them in future?
>
> Turning off XVideo has made things much better, so thankyou very much
> for your help so far!

The xvideo option takes memory bandwidth in the current driver, even
when you aren't running any xv apps...

Ok, try the fifo_* options now (leaving xvideo no in also).  Try
fifo_moderate first, then fifo_conservative.  I'd expect fifo_aggresive
to be worse, but maybe not.

No need to send any more log files for these runs, just check how the
screen noise looks.

depth 24 is the least optimized mode in the s3virge driver, as I tend to
run depth 16 most of the time myself, and I don't think anyone else has
really looked at it recently.

--
Kevin