Re: Problem with S3 ViRGE DX

> That's about the best we're going to get with the driver...  I see you
> have an 1152x768 mode loading, is that one better?  It should be, as
> well as 1024x768 (I think that's the highest I tested at depth 24.)

The 1152x768 mode is horrible, it has a refresh rate of 55Hz (fifty five
hurts!), but the errors aren't there at that resolution.  At 1024x768 it
works fine (at 85Hz) now that I have the settings you suggested
(although it seems quite slow, is that because of turning off XVideo?).
For the moment I am quite happy to leave it at that resolution.

> Does Windows do better at that resolution?  Some additional driver
> tweaking (in the code, not in config params) might help or using a
> different modeline.  I see only one modeline for that resolution in your
> log, though.

In windows there are no such problems.  However windows is only willing
to drive the monitor at 60Hz rather than the 75Hz I was getting in X, so
maybe refresh rate is a factor as well.  That would seem to make sense
if the problem is memory bandwidth.  In that case I suppose a new
modeline probably would work, but I'd rather sacrifice resolution than
refresh rate, especially now my desktop is huge!

I have also noticed that if I set my .xinitrc file to:

metacity &
xsetroot -solid SteelBlue &
gnome-terminal

rather than

gnome-session

There are no errors, even at 1152x864, even though the only visual
difference is the addition of a couple of panels.  That seems a bit
strange.

> And to your prior question about the dual cards having an impact, I
> wouldn't think so.  You don't see the streaking on the virge head while
> performing window operations on the other head, do you?

No, I now have Xinerama working quite nicely (although not at the res I
would have liked).  My next problem is to match the colours accross the
two monitors.

Thanks again for all your help!

Peter