Re: Two trivial problems

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, JS Bangs wrote:

>First, I accidentally messed up a line in my XFree86-Config file, causing
>my screen to display beautiful swirly lines and scrolling bars instead of
>anything else. Since I have a graphical logon, I can't even get to the
>console to change this back. How can I force X to quit and return to the
>regular command line? Ideally, I'd like this to happen before I even

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace should drop you into the console.

>login (although I can muddle my way past the logon screen if I must).
>Alternately, can I prevent X from booting during startup (under a Debian
>system)?

Edit the /etc/inittab file.  There should be a line with
id:5:initdefault:
change the 5 to a 3 and then your system will boot to the console and
you'll use "startx" to start an X session

>Second, how can I change the font size that X uses to display things like
>the logon screen or a file browser? Regardless of which window manager I
>use (Enlightenment is my default), I get rediculously large fonts and
>button sizes in most windows. I think this is an X thing, because the
>fonts that are obviously controlled by Enlightenment (like the titlebars
>and pop-up menus) appear in reasonable dimensions.

You can set the fonts used by individual application by editing the file
$HOME/.Xresources  (where $HOME stands for /your/absolue/home/path).
See "man X" and look for the section titled "RESOURCES".  Towards the
bottom of this section there's an example file that you could play with.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley