Two trivial problems

I'm writing because I have two problems that should be fairly easy to fix,
but which have confounded me so far.

First, I accidentally messed up a line in my XFree86-Config file, causing
my screen to display beautiful swirly lines and scrolling bars instead of
anything else. Since I have a graphical logon, I can't even get to the
console to change this back. How can I force X to quit and return to the
regular command line? Ideally, I'd like this to happen before I even
login (although I can muddle my way past the logon screen if I must).
Alternately, can I prevent X from booting during startup (under a Debian
system)?

Second, how can I change the font size that X uses to display things like
the logon screen or a file browser? Regardless of which window manager I
use (Enlightenment is my default), I get rediculously large fonts and
button sizes in most windows. I think this is an X thing, because the
fonts that are obviously controlled by Enlightenment (like the titlebars
and pop-up menus) appear in reasonable dimensions.

Thanks to all who can help--

Jesse S. Bangs jaspax@u.washington.edu
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/

Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

And they answered, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground
of our being, the kerygma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our
interpersonal relationship."

And Jesus said, "What?"