Re: nvidia problems glxgears hangs box

Eureka!

<Snip...>
> # XFree86 4.0 configuration generated by Xconfigurator

<Snip>
> Section "Module"
>         Load  "dbe"                # Double-buffering
>         Load  "glx"                # OpenGL X protocol interface
>         Load  "speedo"
>         load  "xtrap"
>         Load  "extmod"                # Misc. required extensions
>         Load  "v4l"                # Video4Linux
>         Load  "record"                # X event recorder
>         # You only need the following two modules if you do not use
> xfs.
>         # Load  "freetype"         # TrueType font handler
>         # Load  "type1"                # Adobe Type 1 font handler
> EndSection

Make sure to load only the modules you need in the Module section and
take the ones you don't need out.  This reduces conflicts and conserves
resources.  Take out the Record module as it could be straining X's
memory buffers, tempting a crash.

<Snip...>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier "Linux Frame Buffer"
>         Driver "fbdev"
>         BoardName "Unknown"
> EndSection

Also, unless you really need a frame buffer, I suggest leaving it out.
The
dbe module already provides X with a double-buffer.  If you have to
have a frame buffer device, make sure it uses a driver nVidia suggests or
is compatible with.  Using and additional frame buffer could explain
dropped frames or jerky performace, especially if improperly configured.

> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device "nVidia Corporation|NV25 [GeForce4 Ti4200"
>         Monitor "CustomConfiguration"
>         Option  "NvAgp" "1"

I realize you were told to /not/ insmod agpgart.o, nor include it in
/etc/modules.conf, but this is only because when you use /Option
"NvAgp" "3"/ X loads the system's agpgart.o /then/ tests to see if it
will
work.  If not, nVidia uses it's own internal agp support.  The only
difference is that you get a performance boost if the system uses it's
own
agpgart.o since it's less strain and traffic on the video card if the OS
handles refereeing the AGP port.  This is especially true on SMP
systems as most nVidia cards are single GPU themselves and you'll get
a better match with the SMP nVidia driver kernel and an SMP system.
Lastly, the README for the nVidia kernel driver requires that the
OS kernel should be set up to provide agpgart support /as a module
only through agpgart.o/ and should /never/ be complied into the OS
kernel itself.

Make sure you also include the /Option "Accel" "1"/ underneath /Option
"NvAgp" "3"/ to insure XAA is running unless your CAD software says
to turn off this option.

Lastly...

<Snip...>

> Section "DRI"
>         Mode 0666
> EndSection

This section shouldn't even be here as nVidia's README instructs you
remove the DRI module listing from the Module section.  DRI doesn't yet
support nVidia cards.  In fact, it could be the major source of crashes
as
rendering is already supported in the nVidia kernel driver and it's
fighting
with X's internal DRI which isn't loaded.

I hope this helps.

"Stride the storm or it will dance you."
- Michael D. Beams