Re: Radeon 7000 VE refresh rate problem

Hi,

I had a similiar problem just recently with my Radeon 7500 (PCI version) on Redhat 7.2 with X version 4.2.0.

I would try upgrading to X version 4.2.1 (thats what I did and was a major step in resolving the problem). It is quite easy, just download the required binaries (the required ones are listed in the documentation) and run sh Xinstall.sh and follow the prompts.

Once that is done, run XFree86 -configure (I think that's what it was) and it will try generate a new config file for you. I then had to modify a few options in it, mainly the "ForcePCIMode" option which you would leave out. You then need to make a backup of your current config file (which should be in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 but may be different) and replace it with the one that -configure creates.

As for the refresh rate I believe this has to do with the HorizSync and VertRefresh values in the config file. You need to find out these values from your monitors manual or the their website. Add the values to the config file to get the optimum refresh rate. These values also had an effect on the resolution.

I have included my config file for reference. After running XFree86 -configure I suspect yours will look similar. Add the sync rates for your monitor, add your desired colour depth and hopefully you will be OK!

Also note that I am a complete newbie also and have only been playing with Linux for just over a week now so some things I've said might not be 100% accurate, but these were essentially the steps I took to get X up and running with my Radeon card.

Good luck!

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "dbe"
Load "dri"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "pex5"
Load "xtrap"
Load "xie"
Load "speedo"
Load "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 352 264 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "SNY"
ModelName "CPD-G420"
HorizSync xx - xxx # <- Set these to get a nice refresh and
# resolution

VertRefresh xx - xxx # <- Set these to get a nice refresh and
# resoltion
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "Dac6Bit" # [<bool>]
#Option "Dac8Bit" # [<bool>]

#Option "ForcePCIMode" "True" # [<bool>]
#Option "nodri"

#Option "shadowfb"
#Option "CPPIOMode" # [<bool>]
#Option "CPusecTimeout" # <i>
#Option "AGPMode" # <i>
#Option "AGPSize" # <i>
#Option "RingSize" # <i>
#Option "BufferSize" # <i>
#Option "EnableDepthMoves" # [<bool>]

#Option "CrtScreen" "True" # [<bool>]
#Option "PanelSize" # [<str>]
#Option "UseFBDev" # [<bool>]

Identifier "Card0"
Driver "ati"
VendorName "ATI"
BoardName "Radeon 7500 QW"
BusID "PCI:0:9:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection
EndSection