Font library - where do they go?

I'm trying to get X working on a Vaio R600HMPD.
Reading "Liberating the Dell Latitude C400", my
understanding is that a 2.4.19 kernel and the current
XFree86 (or DRI) CVS trunk would do the trick with no
patching, so I've built both of those, and installed
them.

I built X with

make World >& world.log

and installed it with

make install >& install.log

Now, if I execute startx, it starts up, but then shuts
down again.

.xsession-errors contains:

ksplash: error while loading shared libraries:
libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open s
hared object file: No such file or directory
kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries:
libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open s
hared object file: No such file or directory
ksmserver: error while loading shared libraries:
libfontconfig.so.1: cannot open
connect() failed: : No such file or directory

The library is there in my build tree - presumably I
need to install it somewhere, so my question is:
where?

Many thanks if you can help me with this - it's the
last stumbling block to getting X working, and it's
been heavy going at times (well, I left out Ext2
support from the kernel by accident, which cost me a
few hours :)

Mike Anderson