Re: color depth and video memory

Your guess about memory is highly likely wrong, since if the chip couldn't run
that resolution/depth, X would tell you right away and not start in that.

I recommend you to check the XFree86 FAQ and driver section, AFAIR there were
some issues with Savage chips.

On the other hand: 15 and 16 bit sometimes behave a little strange. Try
cranking the value up to 24 (if this means you have to go down to 800x600,
well, do it for testing purposes).

Dex