xterm fonts: problem with special characters

I guess since xterm is part of X, this question might fit here:

I'm from germany, hence I'd like to use certain special characters of german
language like ä, ö, ü (not sure whether they get displayed correctly in your
mailer)
In X applications this work (tho without the Euro currency symbol).

On ttys they are *generated* when pressing the appropriate key, but when I ls
the dir they became \374 or some other number.
"einstürzen" becomes "einst\374en"

on gterm the cursor moves but the char isn't displayed. Here those chars are
replaced by a "?", so for example
"einstürzen" becomes "einst?rzen"

nautilus won't diplay those either.

I'm running Slackware 8.1 which doesnt have decent i18n or l10n tools.

Appreciate any hints.

Dex