color depth and video memory

(As a side note, I sent this twice before, thinking I had configured pine
to use the right email address, and both of them went to the moderators.
I'm sorry to cause unnecessary email traffic and if this shows up multiple
times, my sincere appoligies to all.)

I have a strange problem with my X setup, and I think I have
narrowed it to a memory issue, but I wanted to get another perspective.

My hardware is a Gateway Solo 5300XL laptop, with a Savage IX/MV video
chip and (I assume from the websites I've read) 8MB of video RAM.

My OS is Debian 2.2 rev6. XFree86 v 4.2.0 installed from binaries from the
xfree86.org website.

When I run startx (with a default depth of 8 (bits?) and a resolution of
1024x768 (native for the screen)), everything works great: twm starts,
the clock and the three xterms (the default setup in the system-wide
xinitrc). But when I up the depth to 15 or 16, and the same resolution, I
get 3 "copies" (for lack of a better description) of the twm-clock-xterms
setup side-by-side on my screen. My mouse moves around all three copies at
the same time. Or I can lower the resolution to 800x600 at a depth of 15
or 16 and get the same results.

You can imagine this isn't very conducive to work! ;)  My guess is that
the 8MB of RAM is not enough to run the screen at 1024x768. However, I do
remember reading that someone did get XFree86 running on their 5300. If
anyone has suggestions or corrections to help me get mine running,
I would be grateful.

TIA,
Cary