SendCoreEvents vs. CorePointer and xmodmap

Hello,

I've discovered the following interesting and unfortunate behaviour in
4.2.0:

The pointer declared as CorePointer is, as expected, affected by
'xmodmap -e "pointer = foo"', but pointers declared as SendCoreEvents
are not.  This is easily reproducible.  It makes it impossible for me
to use all the buttons on my 5-button+wheel USB mouse unless I make it
the CorePointer, in which case of course X won't start if it's not
attached.

Is there a way around this?

- Alan