Re: X server running from CDROM

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 03:07:29AM -0700, Eric Sprague wrote:
> Well, configure X to use the vga16 driver - ok, so
> you'll get 640x480 in 16 colors, but it will run on
> virtually all video card/monitor combos. Try VESA if
> vga16 is too barfucious.
>
> --- Alex Zeffertt <ajz@cambridgebroadband.com> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I need to create a linux distro to run entirely from
> > a CDROM without touching the HD - and it has to
> > support X.  To this end I've downloaded LEM - a
> > small linux distro which supports X - and I'm going
> > to run it from a initial ramdisk so that the root
> > filesystem is read/write.
> >
> > My problem is that I need this CDROM to work with
> > ANY graphics card, and ANY monitor.  Does anybody
> > know how to do this?  I know it must be possible
> > because RedHat do it with their installation CDs!
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Alex

Try a fbdevice with vesa

Linux Kernel v2.4.17 Configuration

Console drivers
                   [*] VGA text console
                   [*] Video mode selection support
                   < > MDA text console (dual-headed) (EXPERIMENTAL)
                   Frame-buffer support  --->

/* This is the submenu Frame-buffer support */

               [*] Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   nVidia Riva support (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   Cirrus Logic support (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   Permedia2 support (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   Cyber2000 support
               [*]   VESA VGA graphics console
               < >   VGA 16-color graphics console
               < >   Hercules mono graphics console (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   Matrox acceleration (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   ATI Mach64 display support (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   ATI Radeon display support (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   ATI Rage128 display support (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   SIS acceleration (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3 display support (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   3Dfx Voodoo Graphics (sst1) support (EXPERIMENTAL)
               < >   Virtual Frame Buffer support (ONLY FOR TESTING!)
               [ ]   Advanced low level driver options
               [ ]   Support only 8 pixels wide fonts
               [ ]   Select compiled-in fonts

Only showing kernel config for fbdev support.

-=-=-=-Cut Here-=-=-=-=-=
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "pex5"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "xie"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/misc/psaux"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>]
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "fbdev"
	Option	    "fbdev" "/dev/fb/0"
	VendorName  "S3"
	BoardName   "Trio64V2/DX or /GX"
	BusID       "PCI:0:15:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultFbBpp  16
	DefaultDepth  15
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     1
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     4
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     8
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     15
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     16
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
EndSection

-=-=-=End of my own XF86Config -=-=-=

Now you just have to edit you bzImage or put it on lilo -3 vga=ask

You can select fbdev 800*600 by entering <enter> then

313 for 800 * 600. * 15 bits.

There are numerous faqs but feel free to ask.

They will give you more detailed info for you situation.

have phun,

Ringo

k33p 0n h4ck1n9