Re: Help needed w/ XFree86 4.2.0 on Slackware Linux 8.0

Hi!  Thanks for the reply.  I installed Slackware 8.0 on my Windows machine, so Slackware was my FIRST Linux install
on this machine.  After I installed Slackware, I installed gcc-3.1, glib-1.2.10, gtk+-1.2.10, and XFree86 4.2.0 and
everything was working just fine.  I  WAS using the GNOME desktop, then I switched over to "raw" Enlightenment.

Then I installed glib-2.0.4 and gtk+-2.0.5 and that went fine.  I guess you could say I started noticing
"strange" behavior after I installed the gnome2 stuff, but glib/gtk+-1.2.10 install *next to* glib/gtk+-2.0 and
gimp-1.2.3 (and most other GTK+ apps I have) still use glib/gtk+-1.2.10.

I've recompiled my kernel and I've built ALL of the packages listed below with gcc-3.1.  I'm just baffled as to why X
seems to be hanging as there are NO error messages in the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file.  Are there some debugging
options I can turn on to get more verbose output from X to help explain what is going on?

At this point, I'm trying to isolate the problem.  Oh yeah, I DID experience this problem when I was using an old
Number Nine Motion 770 PCI video card w/ 2 MB of RAM and the gimp people thought the lack of RAM on my video card was
causing gimp problems.  That is why I upgraded to the GeForce2 PCI video card w/ 32 MB of RAM.

I do NOT know if my problem is with X, enlightenment, or gimp and ANY ideas you might have to help me verify X is
working properly would be greatly appreciated.

Peace...

Tom