Re: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 supported by XFree?

Joshua Lokken wrote:

> Sandra,
>
> >From http://xfree86.org/current/Status6.html#6
>
> "Accelerated support is provided for Mach64, Rage, Rage 128 and Radeon
> chips by the "ati" driver, as is unaccelerated support for all of the others except
> the Mach8 and some early Mach32 chips".
>
> You should, however, try specifying the "radeon" driver in your XF86Config, to see
> how that works.  Also, please see http://xfree86.org/4.2.0/ati.html .  Otherwise,
> based on reading the available documentation, it appears that the answer to your
> first question is "yes".
>
> The resolution(s) your system will support depends more on the specs of your
> hardware.  Check which resolutions the card supports (at http://.ati.com , I would
> guess); do the same for the monitor (see your aforementioned link).
>
> It's all right there for you.
>
> Joshua

I'd be very wary of saying it will work. I had one that simply refused to
produce digital output from the DVI-I port. It produced analogue output from the
VGA port and the DVI-I port, so when the adapter was fitted to the DVI-I port,
it would drive the digital (DVI-D) port on my TFT monitor via its digital
(DVI-D) cable. However, I've been unable to get it to drive digital output from
the DVI-I port, so my monitor's digital input (DVI-D) would not work.

I finally gave up and sold the card. If you don't care about digital output,
then this wont bother you.

One of the developers advised me the card should work if a true ATI card and not
a clone using the ATI chipset. So it might be worth paying an extra for a card
that is definitely made by ATI and not made by XXX using ATi chips.
--
Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
email: drkirkby@ntlworld.com