Re: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 supported by XFree?

7/12/2002 12:33:48 AM, "Dr. David Kirkby" <drkirkby@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Joshua Lokken wrote:
>>
>> Sandra,
>>
>> >From http://xfree86.org/current/Status6.html#6
>>
>> "Accelerated support is provided for Mach64, Rage, Rage 128 and Radeon
>> chips by the "ati" driver, as is unaccelerated support for all of the others except
>> the Mach8 and some early Mach32 chips".
>>
>> You should, however, try specifying the "radeon" driver in your XF86Config, to
see
>> how that works.  Also, please see http://xfree86.org/4.2.0/ati.html .  Otherwise,
>> based on reading the available documentation, it appears that the answer to
your
>> first question is "yes".
>>
>> The resolution(s) your system will support depends more on the specs of your
>> hardware.  Check which resolutions the card supports (at http://.ati.com , I
would
>> guess); do the same for the monitor (see your aforementioned link).
>>
>> It's all right there for you.
>>
>> Joshua
>
>I'd be very wary of saying it will work. I had one that simply refused to
>produce digital output from the DVI-I port. It produced analogue output from the
>VGA port and the DVI-I port, so when the adapter was fitted to the DVI-I port,
>it would drive the digital (DVI-D) port on my TFT monitor via its digital
>(DVI-D) cable. However, I've been unable to get it to drive digital output from
>the DVI-I port, so my monitor's digital input (DVI-D) would not work.
>
>I finally gave up and sold the card. If you don't care about digital output,
>then this wont bother you.
>
>One of the developers advised me the card should work if a true ATI card and
not
>a clone using the ATI chipset. So it might be worth paying an extra for a card
>that is definitely made by ATI and not made by XXX using ATi chips.
>--
>Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
>email: drkirkby@ntlworld.com
>web page: http://www.david-kirkby.co.uk
>Amateur radio callsign: G8WRB

Yes, you're absolutely right.  I just wanted to point out how one can go about
finding this information themselves.  Thanks, though, for the info.  My experience
with ATI is strictly "built by ATI".  Have a great weekend.

--

Best Regards,

Joshua Lokken
OMIC Portland Branch