Help needed w/ XFree86 4.2.0 on Slackware Linux 8.0

Hi!  Ok, I'm running Slackware 8.0 as my base Linux installation with
these mods (from source):

2.4.18 kernel
binutils-2.12.1
glibc-2.2.5
gcc-3.1 (and gcc-3.1.1 20020709 snapshot)
glib-1.2.10, glib-2.0.4
gtk+-1.2.10, gtk+-2.0.5
perl-5.6.1 (and perl-5.8.0-rc1)
XFree86 4.2.0

I'm running on a Pentium II 350 MHz w/ 192 MB of RAM anda 20 GB hard
drive (100 MB of swap, currently).

I'm running XFree86 4.2.0 at 1280x1024 resolution and 24-bit depth.  My
monitor is an NEC MultiSync XE17.  1280x1024 runs just fine on this
monitor.  I'm running the Enlightenment 0.16.5 release with the
"ganymede" theme.  I am NOT running GNOME or KDE.

My problem: I upgraded to Gimp 1.2.3 and Gimp 1.3.7 (dev snapshot) and
Gimp runs just fine, but when I use certain functions (Like
Xtns->Script-Fu->Logos) to make a logo or if I try to add a drop-shadow
to some text, as soon as the windows start appearing and disappearing as
the various Gimp plug-ins do their work, X appears to "hang".  The icons
for various monitors, like CPU monitor or network traffic monitor, STOP
moving and I can click on NOTHING at all.  I CAN move the mouse around,
but NOTHING responds to ANY kind of click.

I can kill Gimp by using Ctrl-Alt-F1 to access virtual terminal #1 and
then login as root and start killing processes.  However, even after the
Gimp is killed,  X is still in a "braindea" state and the ONLY way
I know of to "kick start" it is to either kill it outright or send the X
process a SIGHUP.   I get this behavior when I run at 24-bit depth or
16-bit depth.

I DO encounter this behavior with other apps (like Netscape 7 or
RealPlayer 8), but not very often at all.  I encounter this most
frequently with Gimp.

I'm using a GeForce2 MX-200 PCI video card w/ 32 MB of RAM and the "nv"
driver that came with XFree86.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Peace....