OT wrong attitude? was Re: [Newbie]Can't get mouse to work in X

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 09:07, Michael D Beams wrote:
> Look, as a technical support professional, I think this whole 'post and
> catch as catch can' is way out of whack.  First, I've read about people
> complaining that newbies keep asking the same questions over and over and

Ive done some support too. And it get really anoying to answer the same
question ovaer and over. But I got paid for doing that. What I know of,
no one who answers here gets paid anything. So I do think its more than
fair that we have the right to answer questions as we find fit.

> the people then tell them to go somewhere else.  "Did you look at the
> archives?" they ask without telling the person where the archives are and
> how to search them, "didn't you get the last post," some question, when

If you do not know where the archives are, and after some searching did
not find them. What wrong with asking? ... ehh by they way, _Where_ are
the archives? ...

> this whole list /is there for the newbies in the first place!/  They are

Oh yes, and my goal in life is to answer same question over and over.

> get the runaround instead.  Why is everyone so surprised if no one says
> whether it worked or not when feedback by e-mail is just

Im not. I do not actually care if people answer or not. I try to help,
if I succeeded. Great. If not, well I tried. Its alway nice to know if
you actually did help, but its not something most of us expects.

> what a FAQ is for!/  XFree86.org _used_ to have one posted for

FAQ is quite a lot of work. Do you want to maintain one? It should be a
searchable one, with a lot of crosslinking, and so on.

> installation/troubleshooting questions at their website, but since
> dropped that in favor of this list as of version 3.3.5.

Probably because a version list is easier to maintain than a FAQ.

>  Probably this little flame will get me banned from this list, and I'm

Oh no. I do not think the maintainer of this list will ban you because
of this mail.

> interest.  That's the reality for Window$ and Micro$oft, and it's also
> the rule for both business and open source.  Not everyone is a
> prima-donna talent... get used to it.

Well the magic letter is $, or £, sorry no euro symbol on my keyboard.
If someone would feel like paying, enought that I would be able to quit
my day jobb. I would be happy to maintain a FAQ, answer same question
over and over.

Someone who really wants to make a difference, and have the cash to back
it up? ... helo ... someone ... Nope! well that was what I expected.

// Jarmo