OT wrong attitude? was Re: [Newbie]Can't get mouse to work in X

Look, as a technical support professional, I think this whole 'post and
catch as catch can' is way out of whack.  First, I've read about people
complaining that newbies keep asking the same questions over and over and
the people then tell them to go somewhere else.  "Did you look at the
archives?" they ask without telling the person where the archives are and
how to search them, "didn't you get the last post," some question, when
this whole list /is there for the newbies in the first place!/  They are
_told_ to subscribe to this list to get their questions answered.  They
get the runaround instead.  Why is everyone so surprised if no one says
whether it worked or not when feedback by e-mail is just
'flavor-of-the-week'?  For that matter, why is anyone being sent to this
list or even the list archives for answers to repeated questions? /That's
what a FAQ is for!/  XFree86.org _used_ to have one posted for
installation/troubleshooting questions at their website, but since
dropped that in favor of this list as of version 3.3.5.

I've sent at least _three_ questions of my own to this e-mail list.  Not
a single one of them was directly answered even after I re-posted my
original question with my machine load-out, XFree86 log, and XF86Config
file.  I was basically told to go to hell on one, a.k.a. 'search the
archives,' but you can only search the archives for a maximum of a year
past via Google, provided you can wade through all the responses and
somehow come up with more than just everyone repeating the same question.
 Probably this little flame will get me banned from this list, and I'm
just as tired of seeing the same sad story play out as the next guy, but
either /provide/ support for your product or lose your customer's
interest.  That's the reality for Window$ and Micro$oft, and it's also
the rule for both business and open source.  Not everyone is a
prima-donna talent... get used to it.

"Stride the storm or it will dance you."
Michael D. Beams

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.