[Newbie]hello, i'm new to newbies and have a monitor question

Hi

In John's previous posts he said he had a Diamond Stealth 2500 which is
a S3 of some sort in disguise and that he didn't know his monitor
settings.

John, login as root and run Xconfigurator it will detect your video
card, then choose Generic 640x480 as your monitor and 8bit colour.
Logout and login again as your username and try startx and let us know
how you get on.

Robyn