[Newbie]S3

On Fri, 05 Apr 2002 10:45:45 -0800
inspector.us@omicnet.com wrote:

> Yes, I am using XFree86 3.3.6 (sysinstall);  So I need to specify this
> server--it doesn't install by default?  Thank you for your kind help.

When you ran sysinstall, you went thru a "Choose Distributions" screen.
If you chose one of the three choices that include the X Window System,
you were sent (after the ports collection yes or no screen) to the
"XFree86 3.3.6 Distribution" menu, which leads you to Basic, Server, and
Fonts submenus.  In the Server menu SVGA and VGA16 are checked by
default because they're used by configuration tools.  You have to find
the server that you need for your equipment on that list and check it,
too, so it will be installed later.  You have to have already read
enough XFree86 documentation to know which server you'll need.  In the
case of S3 chips, there is an S3 and an S3V server, and it's not always
clear which one of those you need.  Diamond made boards of both kinds.
You might want to install both, just in case you guess wrong.

[Note to lurkers:  The above discussion is specific to XFree86 version
3.3.6 and earlier on FreeBSD 4.5 and earlier.]

> BTW, I have all but given up trying to get 4.2.0 to work at all with
> the ATI AIW 128 Pro and USB mouse OR a PII box with Diamond S3 card
> and serial mouse.

I can't give any specific help here.  I've never used USB, and I know
nothing of recent ATI video boards.  I have used an old Diamond S3 board
with FreeBSD in a DEC Alphastation.  That's how I know you have match
*every character* of the model designation to choose the right server.

>  The port just WILL NOT make.  I am not
> knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot a port installation,

Did you cvsup the latest version of the port, or are you trying the
version that came with the release?  Much easier to just get the
binaries from ftp.xfree86.org and install that.

> and
> XF86Config seems to be beyond my present capabilities (ie mouse and
> graphics card configuration does not work, no matter how many
> different approaches/suggestions I use). :(

Read the log file carefully.  There's lots of really good info there,
especially with the newest servers.

----
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html