[Newbie]X display misconfiguration

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:34:55 -0800 (PST)
James Ramsey <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Unix Newbie <unix_newbie@earthlink.net> wrote:
[...]
> > running on it nicely. However, when it starts up, I
> > only get a section
> > of the screen showing as if I am in a big window. I
> > have to use the
> > mouse to scroll around.
[...]
> Offhand, it looks like what is going on is that
> XFree86's own virtual screen (as opposed to any window
> manager's virtual screen/desktop) is being used. You
> get this if you set your preferred screen resolution
> beyond what XFree thinks your monitor can handle.

"man XF86Config", in the "Display" SubSection of the "Screen" Section:

       Virtual  xdim ydim
              This  optional  entry  specifies the virtual screen
              resolution to be used.  xdim must be a multiple  of
              either  8 or 16 for most drivers, and a multiple of
              32 when running  in  monochrome  mode.   The  given
              value will be rounded down if this is not the case.
              Video modes which are too large for  the  specified
              virtual  size  will  be rejected.  If this entry is
              not present, the virtual screen resolution will  be
              set  to accommodate all the valid video modes given
              in the Modes entry.  Some drivers/hardware combina-
              tions do not support virtual screens.  Refer to the
              appropriate   driver-specific   documentation   for
              details.

Generally, the server will start in the highest-resolution mode, so the
virtual size will equal the real, but if you switch to a lower
resolution mode, the virtual will stay the sam, and so be larger than
the real, leading to scrolling.  The question is, why are you not in the
highest-resolution mode? My solution is to only configure one mode, or
at least, never switch.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html