Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 12:49:04PM +0000, Artem S. Tashkinov wrote:
> I've mentioned it a dozen times already - you're unhappy with emails
> from bugzilla? Go there and unsubscribe. It takes a minute and we're
> talking as if it's the actual issue we are dealing with. It's not.
> Bugzilla maintenance and its up-to-date status are the issues.

I think you're working from the wrong conception that maintainers want to
receive (or even be aware) of bug reports. Maintainers want *PATCHES*, not bug
reports. You're asking senior engineers to do first-line QA.

This is why your suggestion to auto-subscribe maintainers to bug reports is
the absolutely wrong way to go about it. The maintainers will complain that
they're being inundated with spam and junk reports, and bug reporters will
complain that they are being treated rudely (because this is how a senior
engineer trying to get succinct information comes across). You know that meme
from Fallout with the words "[Everyone hated that]" on it?

> > And if we force developers to get Bugzilla spam whether they want it
> > not, and they said, "absolutely not", is it there right to have the
> > mailing list gateway disabled --- and if so, what does that do to the
> > user experience?  Thats basically the situation we have right now.
>
> As I've said many times already: bugzilla must be an opt-out, not opt-in
> experience/option.

Please listen to the actual maintainers telling you that this won't work and
will just lead to bugzilla being added to everyone's block list (that's even
faster than logging in to bugzilla, finding where to change the default
assignee, etc).

-K