Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

Hey:

> On Sep 30, 2022, at 1:28 PM, Luck, Tony <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> E-mails sent from a web interface could have as much structure as you'd like.
>> So one avenue would be to set up a nice interface for bug reporting, that just
>> delivered the form data in e-mail format to the proposed bug-receiving mail list.
>
> Web interfaces have the advantage that they can be full of boxes which indicate
> useful details to supply. Like what kernel version? Did this work on an older version,
> is so, which one? Which CPU vendor/model are you using? Is there an error message?
> Are there warnings in the console log before the error? Can you upload a full console log?
> Does this happen repeatably? What are the steps to reproduce?

Not to mention, they have the advantage of being faster, in a lot of cases. (Sometimes, just a few keystrokes and an issue is filed. Saves everyone time.)

> Sometimes it takes a few round trips by e-mail to establish the baseline facts.

+1 to this, it’s much easier to have that information immediately at hand. It helps no one when you have to wait for it all to trickle via email taking days if not weeks. Waste of everyone’s time, in my mind.

As I’ve said—my opinion is that email is good for discussions, but  is not great for bug reports (at least, the initial ones that have all the base information.)

-srw