Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

Hey!

Jumping in here to offer my input...

> On Sep 29, 2022, at 10:22 AM, Artem S. Tashkinov <aros@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> That leaves us with Bugzilla that no one wants to touch and some people
> actively want to delete altogether. In other words, no central place to
> report bugs or keep track of them.

This is the current problem that seems to be appearing here. I get why no one wants to touch it, but it doesn’t solve the problem.

As you said:

> I've mentioned several times already that mailing lists are _even worse_
> in terms of reporting issues. Developers get emails and simply ignore
> them (for a multitude of reasons).

It’s 100% true that emails get _buried_ as waves of them come in (LKML itself gets hundreds upon hundreds a day, as I’m sure all of you know) and it just isn’t something I personally see as viable, especially for issues that may or may not be high priority.

> Getting back to my first message in this discussion,
>
> * Let's refresh all the components in Bugzilla
> * Components may not have any people responsible for them at all. Bug
> reporters will have to CC the people they are interested in.
> * Let's subscribe the past six months of developers (using git commit logs)
> * Whoever wants to unsubscribe is free to do so.

Not a terrible idea to me, though obviously, that’s up for debate.

> If not for bugzilla, let's use something more modern. I don't know any
> comparable projects however. Trac is truly horrible. You cannot even
> unsubscribe from bug reports. Maybe I've missed something. Discourse?
> Not a bug tracker per se but can certainly work this way.

Discourse probably isn’t the best fit here, in my opinion. Jira and YouTrack are the only ones I personally know of that are similar to Bugzilla, although as far as I know, they aren’t open source...

Best,
-srw