Re: Monitoring the status of your own patches on patchwork?

Jakub Kicinski <kuba@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 16:48:37 +0100 Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> > Status notification when checks are failing? Hopefully not, we don't
>> > want people posting patches just to get them tested...
>>
>> Well no, but sometimes a patch will have failures despite the best
>> efforts of the submitter (otherwise what's the point of the checks?).
>> Right now the only way for me to discover that there's an issue is to go
>> look at the patchwork web interface, and I wanted something that better
>> suits my workflow (i.e., that's not in a web browser).
>
> I think that the maintainer should notify the submitter about
> the reason the patch state was changed (with the exception of
> patches for a different tree, maybe). I know Kees has been
> trying to add more meaningful states to patchwork but I can
> never guess the meaning of those either :S So no automated
> state checker can replace the maintainer's reply.

Well, sometimes the maintainers forget to reply entirely :)

And yeah, I do realise that no bot is going to be able to tell me
exactly what the current status is, I just want a tool to help me
manually keep track...

>> I wasn't asking for patchwork to send out automatic notifications
>> (yikes!), I just wanted to know if anyone else had done something
>> similar before I go play around with the patchwork API myself... :)
>
> Despite the promise of "best effort" I fear such automation.
> It's pretty common in (let's call them) modern workflows to
> submit PRs / post changes just to get them tested by a CI.
> We don't want to give people the impression that the mailing
> list can serve this purpose.

People could already do that, though, they just have to look at the
patchwork site. And I really don't think it's that convenient of an
interface that this is a real risk. But don't worry, I'm not planning to
publish this as a generally-available service :)

-Toke