Re: Server for PHP and ASP (and MySQL) ??

Hi,

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 22:50:19 -0500, hmbower@cogeco.ca (H Marc Bower)
wrote:

>Perhaps the better solution is to move to a somewhat... newer O/S? :)

Yes, that would be good, but the cheapest I have seen (for example)
W2K Pro, is AUD $300, and that's about $300 more than I have.  :(

>have a P3-450 that I do testing on, using PHP, ASP, and mySQL and it's run
>both Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Server at various times.  If all you're
>doing is serving up webpages, that doesn't suck up much in the way of
>resources and you should be alright.  If your computer is less powerful than
>that, I dunno.  I had XP Pro running on a P166 at one point, but it was kind
>of scary. :)

The computer is only a P2-350 and it's very sluggish, there is _so_
much software on it, and very little disk space. Ideally, I'd like to
setup a *nix box and use that for PHP/MySQL, with say Apache,etc, but
I don't think there is any way I could also use that for the ASP work.

The reason why I want a "local" web server is it saves a lot of
development/testing time to get about 90% of a project done and tested
locally, rather than having to (for example) modify 2 lines of code,
FTP the files to the website/s, test it, change the code again,
upload, etc,etc, what a real pain it is. Also, doing all this locally
saves a lot on bandwidth, so that great (less $$), and if the net is
down, I can still keep doing development/testing work.

So, it seems I'm 'stuck' with a Win box for the ASP stuff, but would
be better off with even using my old P-100 with 64Mb ram as a *nix web
server, to be used for all the PHP/MySQL development work.

Thanks,

Peter