Win98 - PWS 4.0 - PHP

Hello;

First an under the breath curse to Microsoft for making ASP!

Ok... sitting here developing and would like to have a local server that can
speak ASP/PERL/PHP.  Seems I can get two out of three pretty easily on my
Windows 98SE machine, but not all three at once.

My PHP (v4.3.4) installation works fine with BadBlue & Abyss web servers,
but getting it to work with PWS 4.0 has made me lose some hair.  When I
execute "php.exe -i" I get a live dump.

The particulars....

OS: Windows 98SE
Components Installed: dcom98, MDAC and PHP.
PHP directory under root set to execute/read permissions.
php.ini in c:\windows directory
    doc_root set to c:\inetpub
Registry Settings In: .../.../.../ScriptMap/ ".php"="c:\\php\\php.exe" (per
instructions on php.net)

Anytime I try to access even the simplest php script (prints "hello"), I get
a 404 Error (page not available).
No PHP error messages, nothing... like it isn't seeing php at all to execute
the script.  I know my php installation works since I can test the same
script with other web servers and php runs fine.  This has to be something
that I missed in the php.ini file or in the registry, but all is correct per
documentation.

I have also tried the ISAPI dll's with no results as well.

Also a little frustrated that there is no direct contact at php.net to send
this request to, all info regarding PWS 4.0 on php.net is geared to an NT OS
installation.  So here I be...

Anyone out there that can help me with this?  Has ANYONE got this running
per the above configuration?

I actually would rather run Abyss server but cannot find a free ASP plugin
for it...

Thanks to any brave souls out there who can help!