Re: Password Protecting

To MD5 password before sending to server the most
popular way is to use client side javascript. This way
it will protect your password from being sent totally
unencrypted.
In fact, it doesn't give you a good protection,
because you still sending and unencrypted information,
but sometimes it´s enough. This method rather protect
password than your connection. But if you use your
password in more than one place, it´s important not to
show it to everyone over the net.
If you want secure solution think about encrypted
transmission between client and server, like https
with SSL.

HTH
Piotr