Error opening files sent via PHP script with IE on XP

I have made a website where registered users can download
documents from a protected area.
Only problem is, that users using windows XP and internet explorer cannot
use the Open, when they klik the link.
I have tried various browsers under Linux and Windows 2000, they dont have
any problems.
I pass a URL like:
http://<SERVERNAME>/index.php?file=/Individuelopgave_uge45/HA/Document.doc
To the server. The PHP script then tages the file argument, and fetches the
file from the server in a location like:
/var/lib/webcol/<filepath>

Sends it to the browser in this way:
header("Content-Type: ".$mime);
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"".$filename."\"");
header("Content-Description: File Downloaded from webcol");
header("Content-Length: ".filesize($ROOT.$_GET['file']));
$fd=fopen($ROOT.$_GET['file'], "r");
fpassthru($fd);
fclose($fd);
return;

Where $ROOT could be:
/var/lib/webcol/<filepath>
mime is determined from a mimetype template we've made.
An example would in this case be:
applications/msword

The problem is, that when clicking the link, Word starts as expected, but
then reports, that it cannot find the temporary file that Internet Explorer
tells Word that it has been stored as.
And this is true. It does not exist

Any help would be appreciated, thanks