Re: win3.1 in wine & suse8.1

Serge Naggar wrote:
I'm new to wine and suse 8.1.

I d/l the most current wine version for suse8.1 = 200303.. and rpmed it.
I was surprised that wine was not updated with Yast but only directly
with rpm.-F ... Does anybody you know why? I had tried it first and it seemed to work
but rpm -q showed the same date! I now have doubts on all the other rpm patches/updates ...

The win3.1 program is special purpose and runs well on win 3.1.

It does require a change to files in the \WINDOWS\ directory: the WIN.INI file : [after the line CA-VisualObjects] to add
BrowseGranularity=20

It also requires the addition of RIGHTS.INI and RRW.INI files.

Am I correct to just add the files to the fake_windows directory and
make the appropriate corrections relevant to their new environment?

Yep.

When I used `setupwine' the existing fat partitions were `seen' and
assigned D:\ and E:\. In view of the documented possible problems using actual fat partitions
Am I not better off deleting those references and moving the data to the
newly configured /home/ file[s]?

I'm only aware of problems when a "real" Windows partition is being used for drive c:. But if you don't need those D: and E: drives, I would remove them from the config, "just in case".

Should I copy any other \WINDOWS\ files to wine /fake.../ directory?

Mainly fonts, from c:\windows\Fonts into the corresponding Wine directory. Also, at least a few DLLs sometimes help, if this is a Win98 install. In particular, msvcrt and the ole and cabinet DLLs often come in handy.

Even though `setupwine saw the two fat16 partitions it assigned win95
file formats rather than fat16. I left the win95 - was I correct? [could be immaterial if D:\ & E:\ do
not stay]

Yep.