AGU session V020 - Volcano Seismology and Acoustics

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: "Crozier, Joshua A" <jcrozier@xxxxxxxx>

Hello all,

We invite contributions to our session "V020 - Volcano Seismology and
Acoustics: Recent Advances in Understanding Volcanic Processes" at the AGU
2022 Fall Meeting, taking place in Chicago and online from December 12-16.

Hazardous phenomena at volcanoes include ash plumes, gas emissions,
explosions, pyroclastic density currents, lava flows, lahars, and mass
wasting. All of these processes produce seismic and acoustic signals that
can provide key real-time information for assessing hazardous surface and
atmospheric activity. We can also gain insights into the structure and
activity state of volcanoes by identifying and tracking the movement of
subsurface magma and hydrothermal fluids using seismicity and seismic
imaging techniques. Recent advances in seismo-acoustic instrumentation,
deployment techniques, and data analysis have promoted more precise
characterization and quantification of the physical mechanisms leading to
and accompanying volcanic phenomena. Thus, volcano seismology and acoustics
remains a rapidly developing area of research. We welcome submissions that
present new seismic, infrasound, and hydroacoustic observations,
interpretations, models, instrumentation, or techniques that improve our
understanding of volcanic processes and assist future monitoring efforts.

This year our invited speakers are Ettore Biondi from Caltech and Julia
Gestrich from the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

Best,

Helen Janiszewski
Jackie Caplan-Auerbach
Josh Crozier