VOLCANO: 2018 Fall AGU session V007. Basaltic magmatism: Constraints from trace elements

From: Kirsten Nicolaysen <nicolakp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 2018 Fall AGU session V007. Basaltic magmatism: Constraints from trace elements

Dear Colleagues (with apologies for cross-listing),

We would like to draw your attention to this AGU session that we organized to celebrate Fred Frey’s 80th birthday, and hope that you will consider submitting an abstract. AGU will be held in Washington, D.C. in 2018.

Regular Deadline: 1 August 2018, 11:59 P.M. EDT

2018 AGU session V007. Basaltic magmatism: Constraints from trace elements.

Session Description:

Trace element geochemistry investigates the sensitivity of basaltic magma composition both to mantle melting processes and to recycling of elements in subduction zones. When combined with radiogenic isotopes, basalt geochemistry probes the rates and extents of Earth differentiation through time and illustrates the details of plate tectonic theory including testing mantle plume hypotheses. As basaltic magmatism provides both heat and chemical constituents to the atmosphere and hydrosphere, trace element geochemistry provides clues to the impact of volcanoes on the biosphere and implicates mantle melting as a suspect in mass extinctions. Consequently, we invite authors to contribute papers that use trace element geochemistry of mantle-derived lavas and mantle rocks to stimulate discussion of the role of basaltic magmatism in Earth history including as an agent of geobiological change.

Invited presentations by:
Linda Elkins-Tanton (Director, School of Earth and Space Exploration, Arizona State University) and
Dominique Weis (Canada Research Chair, University of British Columbia)

Conveners:  Shichun Huang, Kirsten P Nicolaysen, Alberto E Saal, and Tanya Furman

Feel free to contact us with any questions, and we look forward to seeing you in DC!

Best Regards,

Shichun Huang (University Nevada, Las Vegas)
Kirsten Nicolaysen (Whitman College)
Alberto Saal (Brown University)
Tanya Furman (Pennsylvania State U)