VOLCANO: AGU 2018 Session | V018: Deciphering Magma-Tectonic Interactions in Rifts, Arcs, Ridges and Volcanic Fields

From: Christelle Wauthier <cuw25@xxxxxxx>
Subject: AGU 2018 Session | V018: Deciphering Magma-Tectonic Interactions in Rifts, Arcs, Ridges and Volcanic Fields

Dear colleagues,

We wish to invite you contributing your AGU Fall Meeting abstract to the following session focussing on magma-tectonic interactions:

Session ID: 51311
Session Title: V018. Deciphering Magma-Tectonic Interactions in Rifts, Arcs, Ridges and Volcanic Fields
Section/Focus Group: Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology
Conveners: Christelle Wauthier (Pennsylvania State University), Pete La Femina (Pennsylvania State University), James Muirhead (Syracuse University) and Halldor Geirsson (University of Iceland)

The abstract submission deadline is 1 August 2018, 11:59 p.m. ET.

Abstract:

Magma-tectonic interactions occur at scales from individual magmatic systems to plate boundaries. Numerous studies reveal spatial and temporal relationships between magma intrusions, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions. Field, geodetic, and modeling studies suggest tectonic earthquakes can trigger volcanic eruptions and intrusions through static and dynamic stress transfer. Conversely, magma transport and storage can generate earthquakes via stress changes in surrounding country rock. In rifting events, magmatic fluids can also help release tectonic stresses. Finally, the combined effects of magmatic, gravitational and tectonic stresses can trigger catastrophic volcanic flank collapse. This session will focus on the analysis and modeling of magma-tectonic interactions as broadly defined above. We particularly encourage multidisciplinary studies utilizing tools in geodesy, volcanology, geochemistry, structural geology, and seismology to decipher relationships between magmatic and tectonic processes. We also welcome studies using stress analysis and/or advanced numerical and analog modeling to understand the link between tectonic and magmatic systems.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Washington D.C!

Sincerely,

Christelle Wauthier, Pete La Femina, James Muirhead and Halldor Geirsson