VOLCANO: Communication to the non-scientific public using the Wikipedia Free Encyclopedia

From: Leuthold Julien <julien.leuthold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Communication to the non-scientific public using the Wikipedia Free Encyclopedia

Dear colleagues,

I am a researcher and lecturer at ETH Zürich. As part of a M.Sc. class on Heat and Mass Transfers in Magmatology, I wished to develop students' communication skills. First part of the class was designed as a reading seminar, where students read scientific papers (i.e. science reading skills) and presented main results orally (i.e. scientific oral communication skills) by group of two. In the 2 last sessions, each group was asked to create a Wikipedia page, rewriting and rephrasing specific topics of their article (i.e. public written communication skills). Main observations are written below (EGU abstract).

I would like to compare my observations with others and (hopefully) generalise observations. As geologists, have you conducted similar exercises? Would you agree to share your assessments?

Many thanks for your help!

Best,

Julien Leuthold

EGU2018-16315 abstract:

Communication to the non-scientific public using the Wikipedia Free Encyclopedia

session EOS3 - Science in tomorrow's classroom

Julien Leuthold, Pia Sherrer, Adrian Gilli

During the second half of the 2017 Fall semester at ETH Zürich, I have taught a M.Sc. level reading seminar on the broad topic of Heat and Mass Transfers in Magmatology (651-4931-02L). Three first semester and 6 third semester M.Sc. students have attended the course. All students had a B.Sc. degree in Earth Sciences, but where registered in the Institute of Geochemistry and Petrology Institute or the Institute of Geophysic.

By groups of two, students have read a scientific article, presented it orally to classmates and answered to questions from the peers. During the last two classes, students have edited and created Wikipedia free Encyclopedia pages in relation to their article’s topic. Students really enjoyed creating a Wikipedia page, even if they didn’t use it or didn’t trust the Wikipedia content. They had little experience with communication to a non-scientific public and thought this exercise was challenging. Evaluations show that writing about a scientific paper in a Wikipedia page is a less efficient learning technique than reading a scientific article, presenting it orally or discussing it in a group. However, it is an efficient way to practice writing and public communication skills.