VOLCANO: COV10 session S1.35: Using quantitative petrology to inform volcano monitoring

From: Mike Stock <ms2368@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: COV10 session S1.35: Using quantitative petrology to inform volcano monitoring

Dear colleagues,

We invite you to submit abstracts to Cities on Volcanoes session S1.35 entitled “Using quantitative petrology to inform volcano monitoring”.

The abstract submission deadline is 10 May 2018 and the meeting will take place 2-7 September 2018 in Naples (Italy). For further information see: www.citiesonvolcanoes10.com.

Session description:

Recent advances in analytical, experimental, and modelling techniques have given petrologists access to new information about magmatic processes and the timescales over which they operate. This information is now sufficiently detailed to allow integration of petrologic records with deformation, seismic and gas emission data measured at the Earth’s surface. In dormant or restless volcanic systems, eruptions may not have been directly observed since the advent of modern monitoring techniques and, in these cases, petrologic constraints can provide clues about pre-eruptive behaviour and the types of activity that might precede future eruptions. In recently-active systems, petrologic analyses can help to constrain disparate monitoring signals detected in the build-up to eruptions. Hence, quantitative petrology now represents a valuable tool that can be incorporated into volcano monitoring strategies and aid in hazard mitigation.

We invite presentations that use novel petrologic tools to attain information that could aid in volcano monitoring. This includes studies looking at: (1) the compositional and structural evolution of sub-volcanic systems, (2) changes in the chemical or physical state of magmas prior to eruption, particularly where these trigger eruptions or dictate eruption frequency and style, (3) timescales of pre-eruptive magmatic processes. In particular, we encourage multi-disciplinary studies that combine petrologic information with deformation, seismicity or gas emission datasets in active volcanic systems.

Please do not hesitate to contact us regarding the suitability of your work for this session. We look forward to receiving your submissions and seeing you in Naples later this year!

Best wishes,

Mike Stock, University of Cambridge, UK
Victoria Smith, University of Oxford, UK
Geoff Kilgour, GNS, New Zealand